How to make Dal Pakwan:
- Wash and soak channa dal in the water for 1h.
- Heat the pan. Add 1-2 tbsp oil. Add asafetoida and mustard seeds. Then add chopped onion. Stir fry for few minutes until golden brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes, green chilies and fry for few minutes stirring well and mashing the tomato with the spices to make a paste.
- Drain the dal.
- Add 3 cups of water to the cooking pot. Add dal, salt, turmeric powder.
- Add ¼ tsp red chili powder, ¼ tsp garam masala, ¼ tsp dry mango powder and a little salt. Stir gently and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. Or when you cook in the pressure cooker wait for 1 whstle. (then open the lid). Set aside, covered.
Heat oil in another, best small pan. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds. Sizzle for a few seconds. When they begin to change color, add curry leaves, and a pinch of chili powder. Stir.
Pour the tarka over the dal. Garnish with fresh coriander.
How to make Puri Pakwan?
- Sift refined flour and wheat flour into a large bowl. Add semolina, cumin seeds, crushed black peppercorns, 4 tbsp of oil and salt.
- Add sufficient water and knead into a semi-soft dough. Divide the dough into eight portions and roll each portion into a chapati of four inch diameter.
- Prick lightly with a fork.
- Heat oil in a kadai and deep fry pakwan on low heat till golden and crisp.
- Drain on absorbent paper. Garnish the dal with chopped onion and coriander and serve it hot with pakwan.
- In order to get proper and crispy unpuffed pakwans, always prick them before frying. It is also important to fry them over medium heat so that it remains crisp for long time.